Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: HOWTO VirtualBox Host networking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO VirtualBox Host networking

So, bodhi.zazen, just to clarify, once you chose the network connection from the drop down, VirtualBox somehow auto-configures that connection as a bridge?

I have to admit, I can't see how Virtual Box would get around the need for bridges? I mean, for basic NAT operation, sure - easy. But what we were discussing on this thread (months ago) is the creation of a virtual machine that can accept incoming conections - like a web server, for example.

Sounds great if it works like you say though.
    Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by scaine View Post
    So, bodhi.zazen, just to clarify, once you chose the network connection from the drop down, VirtualBox somehow auto-configures that connection as a bridge?

I have to admit, I can't see how Virtual Box would get around the need for bridges? I mean, for basic NAT operation, sure - easy. But what we were discussing on this thread (months ago) is the creation of a virtual machine that can accept incoming conections - like a web server, for example.

Sounds great if it works like you say though.
    That is how it works. If you wish to know the details, check out the VirtualBox User Manual (PDF) I linked, I think the networking section is less then 5 pages.

I believe Virtualbox now automatically bridges your network card, similar to VMWare. Also there have been changes to how NAT works.

And yes, it is much easier. Again, in the network tab, select Host networking -> then select eth0 (or wireless, or whatever).

Again, there is not need to manually create a bridge, it is now handled "automagically".

If you wish to install the newest version, purge the old first.

And again OSE will lag behind ...
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; December 21st, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    That is how it works.
    Not really. It's a bit more elegant than that

I believe Virtualbox now automatically bridges your network card, similar to VMWare.
    No. It's even better IMHO. VMware creates separate network interfaces: vmnet0 for bridging, vmnet1 for host-only, vmnet8 for NAT ... depending on the other applications you have on your system they might get confused by the presence of these interfaces.

VirtualBox 2.1.0 is more elegant than that: it does not need create extra interfaces anymore. Therefore it has also stopped to mess up NetworkManager ... the two now "just work" side by side. It's super duper cool. What VirtualBox now does is that it creates a "netfilter" ... it's comparable to sniffing network traffic and having a firewall. It filters out traffic that wants to reach your bridged VM from the physical interface, and when your VM wants to talk to the rest of the world VirtualBox injects appropriate packets onto your network. All this is handled by a new kernel module (= "device driver" in Windows-speak) called "vboxnetflt" .... when you do a "lsmod" to check for the loaded modules you will notice that one. If it's loaded then it means that VirtualBox is ready for it's new bridged networking magic

It's really really cool and very elegant. The thing even works with Wireless interfaces.

And yes, it is much easier.
    Absolutely!!! It's so easy my wife (= total utter complete nooob!!) can use this. No kidding.

Here is a posting that explains how to get SUN's xVM VirtualBox repository ... installing VirtualBox 2.1.0 is very easy then, plus: if there are any updates you will be automagically be notified:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=16

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wonderful - thank you. Your instructions worked like a charm and solved a problem that had really been frustrating me.
    ----
    Linux user since before Yggdrasil, Unix before that while with the real AT&T.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ipguru99 View Post
    With VirtualBox 2.1.0 you simply select host networking and select your network card (eth0 , wlan0, etc) from the pull down list.

No need to manually bridge your network card, no need for a tap, although you can use these devices if you wish.

See the VirtualBox users Guide for details.

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...UserManual.pdf
    Thanks for the info. Super cool news !!!

Beans

Same goes for me. This has been driving me crazy and I can't believe how easy it was. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by celem View Post
    Wonderful - thank you. Your instructions worked like a charm and solved a problem that had really been frustrating me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm using 2.0.4_OSE/Ubuntu 8.10. The post helped me solve the network bridging problem in minutes.

To use tunctl and brctl mentioned in the command list, you have to:
    apt-get install uml-utilities bridge-utils
    Thanks!
    Last edited by slw4qd; April 24th, 2009 at 06:44 AM.

Beans

I just add a script. One of them is for add tap whatever you like...
    LINK
    Last edited by burkas; July 29th, 2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: There are two different scripts. The different one is remove the tap interface ;)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by burkas View Post
    I just add a script. One of them is for add tap whatever you like...
    LINK
    That is a very nice script, I add some of that , especially bringing up a bridge, in /etc/network/interfaces and would use the script only to add a tap.

At any rate , such a script is no longer necessary for VirtualBox, can be helpful if you use kvm, although there are script for kvm networking as well (/etc/kvm-ifup /etc/kvm-ifdown).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

@bodhi.zazen
    thx bodhi, i never heard about kvm networking. I'm searching it in google now.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415